Monday, October 8, 2007

Think about the future!









I had a rough couple of days recently. Not bad days per se, just really busy. We've had a lot of excitement around here with different events and services. Fr. Attila just got back from vacation as well, which adds to the excitement.

Yesterday, we hosted the diocesan Golden Jubilee mass. For those of you who dont know what that is, it's the celebration of wedding anniversaries for couples who have been together more than 50 years. It was quite impressive to see how many couple came (close to 600 people in total). Our choir put on a mini concert for those who came early, and we had a very nice celebration of love and commitment. The bishop presided, and came out towards the end of the service and recognized each couple by name and had them stand up. As they progressed - 50 - 55 - 60 - 61 - ... - 68, I was just amazed. What would it feel like to be with someone for 68 years of your life? I know I have no chance of ever reaching that as I would have to live to at least 102. As I looked at each couple standing up, I saw this glow in their eyes. Either it was because they were simply being recognized, or maybe it was because they were being recognized for something that has just become part of their life. I wonder when the time comes when you just cant think of doing anything else. Does it ever really cross their minds? Each couple just seemed to fit together, like they were MEANT to be there.



The other big event was a funeral we had this morning. Funerals always tend to get to me in one way or another. When the wife of the man who died called me, she had a dstinct quiver in her voice. I tried to be as calming as I could, assuring her that the family's wishes would be met in the best way I could make it happen. Last night was the memorial service. Hearing about the creativity and passion this man inspired was a blessing for me. He seemed like someone I would have enjoyed getting to know. That got me thinking even more about how I am going to be remembered some day. Are people going to cry when I'm not here? Are they going to remember my corny jokes and quick wit (as if I had any of that to begin with). Are they going to feel inspired by my life in the way this man's family and friends were inspired? I dont know. That makes me really want to make a difference in the world in some way. Or maybe just make a difference in my own family (some day) or church or community or city. Who knows?



All I know is, I have a lot of living to do, and I'm ready to get to it. Speaking of which... back to work.

No comments: