Friday, September 12, 2008

Oh yeah.. September's WiTW



I want to keep everyone up to date as to some things happening in the US church. For a few years now, the USCCB (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops) has a group of people working on a newly revised English version of the mass. Supposedly, they don’t believe that the one we use now is a literal enough translation, so some things are going to change. The translation was finally approved at the end of July, but won’t really go into effect for a couple of years. A copy has been made available for “pastoral preparation” purposes, and I have that if anyone is interested. Mainly, they want to give various ministers a chance to get familiar with the new texts and wordings. Songwriters will have a chance to write music based on the new words. Beyond that, not much else is known right now. The words aren’t greatly different from the ones we know, but it will be a little confusing at first, because we have become so familiar with the way we say mass now.
You know, we all have a way we think the church should be or needs to be. I know when I walk into an unfamiliar mass with a priest I’ve never seen and music I’ve never heard, I wonder if it’s going to be done “right.” I got into a discussion (argument) with a Catholic artist online recently about one of his pieces portraying a long haired, bearded man with a sign looking for work after “40 years of disservice” to the church. This artist proceeded to tell me that Vatican II, back in the sixties, opened up a door to these people leading us away from “real” Catholicism – that he and his people consciously tried to drag the church down. As much as I think a lot of the music and methods of liturgy were quite off-the-wall and possibly misguided through the sixties, seventies and even the eighties (many of my formative years by the way), I would never say that anyone intentionally tried to bring down the faith of the people.
Is there room in the church for organ, piano, violin and guitar? Is there room in the church for English, Latin, Spanish, and Polish? Can there be priests in the church who speak very theologically and others who tell stories or jokes during their homilies? Can there be masses that are uplifting and exciting and others that are more solemn and reflective? All indicators I have show me the answer is YES! Christ welcomes all of us to come to the table and share in the meal of life. He invited both the rich and the poor throughout the gospels. I believe Christ calls people of all walks of life and inclinations still today. When we approach the altar with disdain for a Christian brother or sister without forgiving them first, then where is the bond of the communion of saints or the love of a God who is infinitely merciful and welcoming?
On a side note, I am looking for people to join the newly reformed Spiritual Life and Worship commission. We are changing the focus of this group toward one of brainstorming, preparing and evaluating our liturgies together, as well as learning about the foundations of Catholic liturgy and seeing how it applies (or doesn’t) here at Good Shepherd. If you are interested in joining us, or want to know more, give me a call at 618-5986. Thanks!

No comments: