Monday, March 3, 2008

Once Upon a Time

During my day off today, I decided to watch my movies that have been sitting in my apartment for the last few days. (I do Blockbuster Online) One of these movies really touched me for many reasons. Maybe its the musician in me or the songwriter or even the person struggling to find that great relationship.

The movie I'm referring to is Once, a low budget and gritty movie about, in my opinion, finding one great friend who "gets" you. There is a lot of great music performed by the songwriters themselves. The movie is about a guy (in the credits named "guy") who makes a living out by fixing vacuum cleaners and singing songs on the streets of Dublin. He meets a girl (named... you got it... "girl") who takes a keen interest in him and his music. The movie is so simple and real, that it speaks volumes about being true to who you are no matter what, following the dreams of your heart, and respecting everything about the people you encounter.

I think the reason I was moved so much by this movie is that I feel so much like the hero portrayed. He recently ended a relationship and is wandering around looking for meaning in everything. When he finds someone who takes an interest in him and helps nudge him toward being a more than he was, he gets the signals mixed up for a time, then realizes the gem he has in her. I wonder if that's what I've been looking for for so long... someone who can inspire me, someone who can be my muse and push me to greater things.

I know it sounds selfish to say that, but it's real. Who knows what form this person is going to come in, but I do know that our friendship will be the stuff from which poems are written and legends told. I know I've missed quite a few opportunities for this kind of relationship, and I am willing to admit that I may lack what it takes to make a relationship like this happen, but I feel, right now, a longing for it. I just hope I'm ready for it when it comes. :)

No comments: