Thursday, March 6, 2008

Worship in the Works - March 2008

Here's the latest newsletter article... enjoy.





Do you ever feel like there is something missing in your life? Like your life is unfulfilled? Empty? Directionless? Meaningless? Maybe you feel like there is something else you could have done if only you had the means or opportunities. Do you feel a burning desire inside you that you just can’t ignore? Has it been there for a long time? Do you ever feel like you aren’t helping others to be the best they can be? Are you using your talents the way God intended?
I can honestly say that I answered yes to a couple of these questions. If you answered yes to any of them, I’m sorry to say I don’t have the answers, but, maybe the stories of Jesus during this time of Lent do. If Jesus were asked these questions, I would guess that he would say a resounding “no” to them all. How do I know this? The famous last words of Christ include the following: “It is finished.” Some translations of the bible use “It is accomplished.” To me, these words come from a man who has seen his fair share of pain and sorrow, but also a man who really made something of himself. How could he have looked back over his life and said, “If only I had…” to anything? From the beginning of his ministry, he made all the choices of his heart. If we are to follow Jesus with our whole lives, then shouldn’t we also try to see our lives as a real accomplishment and success?
“Were you there when they crucified my Lord?” “Were you there when they nailed him to the cross?” “Were you there when they laid him in the tomb?” I doubt any of us can say yes to any of these questions, but if we can see that we have made the most out of our lives and really invested our talents, then we can have no cause to “tremble” before the awesome power of God. It’s hard to see beyond our “comfort zones” and really be there in the suffering of others, much less Jesus who lived over 2000 years ago. If Jesus was able to go through all the torment and agony and still come out feeling successful, then I have no room to complain. My gift to Christ, who died for my salvation, is to die to myself and give to those he died for. This continues the cycle of love Jesus began when he forgave even those who put him on that very cross.

No comments: